Monday, July 29, 2013

Scouting and the Priesthood



How Scouting is Inspired and Specifically Designed to Lead Young Men to the Temple and Beyond

Forward

Why this discussion?
It has been my privilege in life to have spent the majority of it working with the youth of the Church.  To my great joy, this experience has been a direct fulfillment of the Lord’s promised blessing I received from Him in my own youth.  I have such excellent young friends.

I have been in many positions throughout the Church Youth and BSA organizations, but none so special as that of Scoutmaster.  Because of that, I have spent many years trying to make Scouting work for me and my boys.  Because I truly love my boys, and because they really are my very excellent friends, I finally came to the realization, although begrudgingly at first, that the best and only thing I could do for them is to be the best trained leader I possibly could.  Because of the things I have witnessed in their lives and in my own life, I knew my training could no longer be just another Saturday classroom experience.

I had been to years of Scout training and thought I knew it all.  I was lucky enough to make a new friend in a new Ward and he became my Scouting Mentor.  He talked me into going to Wood Badge and I went, quietly kicking and screaming.  And then it happened.  In an effort to survive the week, I opened up to the experience and it literally changed my life.  It was the catalyst for me for all this you are about to read. 
I learned many practical leadership and team-building skills at Wood Badge.  The one, maybe intended or not so intended, lesson I learned was that to be successful, to meet the needs of these tremendous young men, I needed the Lord’s help.  I needed His instruction.  I was motivated and determined.   I committed, like a new convert, to pay the price to know His will.  Because of this, I have come to know for myself the truth of Scouting and its role in Heavenly Father’s Plan.

Now, I know many of you have done the same in your own callings.  I am not suggesting that my experience is different than yours.  I am simply saying that I spent hard time on my knees to know the Lord’s will for me in my Scouting Position.  I hope and believe you do the same in your callings.  Because I was willing and paid the price to know, He opened my mind to understand the spiritual aspects of Scouting as part of His plan.  And it is AWESOME!

When I understood the relationship between Scouting and the Aaronic Priesthood, I realized the seriousness of the situation.  I felt like I could no longer not act without being held accountable.  As a Stake leader with the assignment over the Aaronic Priesthood, I realized that in order to fulfill my own duty to God and magnify my priesthood responsibilities, I needed to write this for those I had stewardship over and for anyone else this might help.  PLEASE understand this: I am not presenting this as any kind of authority.  Like a missionary, I am simply pointing and asking you to find out for yourself.  I am merely a guy who believes he gets it, sharing with you what I see.  So please, read this kindly and with an open heart and mind, and ask the Lord for yourself.

Introduction

Through the now 100 years that the Church has embraced Scouting, we have provided young men with the complete range of Scouting experiences from excellent to poor.  Of any Chartered Organization providing this program to the youth of America, ours should be the best.  Our Scouting programs should be the example other units follow.  And yet, across the country, our reputation is the opposite.  Why?

Over the years I have worked with Stake and Ward Young Men’s Presidencies and Scout Leaders at every level, both in and out of the Church.  I have seen great leaders and those who are still struggling in their Scouting roles, but worse, I have also seen those who reject Scouting completely because they do not see its value.  And today, with the challenges in the world that the BSA face, I have seen long time Scouters doubt and I have others that focus on the program and pay no attention to the media and the noise.  Why does the Priesthood body have such a differing attitude toward Scouting?

I believe the issue is vision.  We talk of Scouting, we promote Scouting, we raise funds for Scouting, participate in Scouting, and we urge our boys to become Eagle Scouts.  But as a priesthood body, we do not share in a unifying vision of Scouting.

I believe if we understood scouting like the Prophet did, like the Lord does, our vision would change and we would not only understand why we are involved in the Scouting Program, we would dedicate our lives to Scouting. 

The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate what I believe is the Lord’s purpose for the Scouting program in the Aaronic Priesthood and to show how it is specifically designed to lead young men to the temple and beyond.

In doing so, my hope is that you will only be inspired to find out for yourself the truth of Scouting and how it can help you and your boys be better Latter-Days Saints.
Please let me provide you with this moment of perspective. 

This is what I wish every Latter-Day Saint understood about Scouting:

The Plan

“For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.”  Moses 1:39  

We cannot understand the Lord’s purpose for Scouting if we do not have a working understanding of the Plan of Salvation.  We need to briefly review that Plan from an eternal perspective in order to see Heavenly Father’s logic played out at the causal links that circumscribe all truth into one great whole.

The Plan of Salvation; the Plan of Happiness; the Plan of Redemption.  No matter what we call Heavenly Father’s Plan, it is a plan of, and for, change.  It is a celestial plan to maintain freedom of choice and allow Heavenly Father’s spirit children the ability to progress to becoming like Heavenly Father through righteous choices.

God has a plan for all His children to be successful in this life.  He would define success as being qualified to return and live with Him after this earth life is over.  This plan for success was laid out to all of us in a pre-mortal grand counsel and we completely supported Heavenly Father and His Plan.  It is centered in the need for a Savior and His atoning sacrifice; someone willing to take upon themselves the debt and pain and suffering of all of mankind and then freely offer himself as an atoning sacrifice.

9 For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for          according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an    atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably 
perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish
except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made.
10 For it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice; yea, not a sacrifice of man, neither of beast, neither of any manner of fowl; for it shall not be a human sacrifice; but it must be an infinite and eternal sacrifice.

One person was most qualified.  He had led his life in such a perfect way that he had become most like Heavenly Father.  And when the great Jehovah stepped forward and offered Himself, we all shouted for joy.

Heavenly Father’s Plan requires of us to come into this life, live by faith, seeking truth in all things, until we find God, and understand His plan.  Once we understand His Plan, we are further required to enter into a series of Covenants with the Lord.  These start with baptism and culminate in the full blessings of the Temple.  Then, as the scriptures say, there is nothing left but to endure.

It is a simple plan.  It is glorious plan.  For us to understand how Scouting plays a role in the plan, we need to look at some of the details.

Grace

“….for we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”  2 Nephi 25:23 

Grace is important to the discussion because it plays a specific role in the Plan.  Understanding it is the key to recognizing our purpose in life and the concept of enduring, which we will discuss below.

One could spend a worthy life studying and trying to comprehend the Atonement and the Grace of Christ.  For purposes of our discussion, I simply want us to understand grace in its role of Heavenly Father’s Plan.

Grace seems to confuse people at times and understandably so.  The concept of Grace is huge!  Our understanding of how Christ could actually perform such a monumental task and then turn and offer such a loving and unselfish gift can fill one’s mind to overflowing.  Grace is real.  Jesus Christ understood the necessary sacrificial requirements to take upon Himself the pain and penalty of every conceivable sin for every single child of Heavenly Father, until He descended below us all, and then triumphantly came forth; breaking the bonds of death for all humanity, and fulfilling all that Heavenly Father instructed.

There is a great amount of talk about the saving Grace of the Savior.  Amongst all Christian churches, even amongst the Saints, there can be some confusion.  Are we simply saved by grace or are we only saved after all we can do?  If after all we can do, what is all we can do?  The direct answer is: we are all saved by grace.  Period.  Not by accepting Christ as our Savior and not after all we can do.

The issue is actually very simple, Christ paid everything for you.  Not a little.  Not a part.  Everything.  The debt, the price, the cost of your admission back into Heavenly Father’s presence is paid in full.  Referring to the confusion of “after all we can do,” Brad Wilcox of the General Sunday School Board, eloquently said it like this: Jesus does not make up the difference.  Jesus makes all the difference.[1]  (NOTE: Brother Wilcox’s talk on Grace given at a BYU devotional in 2012 is worth your time, one of the clearest and best discussions on the subject, it may change your life, and I highly recommend it.)
Jesus makes all the difference.

Please understand I am not fighting Nephi over the concept of grace.  He is my great hero.  And he was a Prophet, so, of course he’s correct in what he’s saying.  In order to go forward, we need to understand exactly what he meant.  Please let me solicit the help of some others to explain what he meant by “that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”[2]


Referring to this doctrine, Brigham Young taught the following:
 “Every person who does not sin away the day of grace, and become an angel to the Devil, will be brought forth to inherit a kingdom of glory.”[3]

Referring specifically to President Young’s comments, Elder Dallin H. Oaks stated the following:
This meaning of saved ennobles the whole human race through the grace of our
Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  In this sense of the word, all should answer: 
“Yes, I have been saved.  Glory to God for the gospel and gift and grace of His Son!”

Specifically, these brethren are speaking of physical Salvation, of being saved from death.  From The Guide to the Scriptures we read:

Salvation: To be saved from both physical and spiritual death. All people will be saved from physical death by the grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Each individual can also be saved from spiritual death as well by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ.  This faith is manifested in a life of obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel and service to Christ.[4]

Every member of the human family will be resurrected no matter who you are or what you have done.  This is the free gift of the Atonement.  All will live again.  All will come forth on that great day of the resurrection.  The issue is: What will you be resurrected to?

And this is where all we can do comes in.

Choices

“Decisions determine destiny.”  President Thomas S. Monson

In Section 93 of the Doctrine and Covenants we learn a vitally important concept.  We learn that life is choices.  I learned that as a young man, and throughout my life, from my Dad.  Usually after I or someone else did something dumb, he would calmly say with a slight sigh, “Life is choices.”  I used to think this was one of those parental adages we all heard growing up, like the early bird gets the worm.  I really don’t like worms and never understood their relationship to seminary either.  Then, in my college years, I really studied Section 93 and discovered my Dad was a genius.  Life is REALLY about choices.

D&C 93:
20 For if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fullness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace.

Choices are in fact, the spiritual-cellular make up of who we really are.  In Section 93, verses 12 through 14 we learn something we need to talk and focus on more and that is this: it was choices that made Jehovah become the Christ, the Savior of Mankind.  His choices were so perfect that He became like Heavenly Father before we came to earth.  Line upon line, grace for grace, he made choices that made Him a perfect reproduction of Heavenly Father.  In doing so, He has shown us the way.

The vital lesson here is that He has demonstrated to us that it can be done and we can do it too.  Our choices can make us like the Savior.  If our goal in this life is to return home to Heavenly Father, then all we can do is make choices that help us to be like the Savior. 

Covenants

“Wherefore, lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made.”
 D&C 25:13 

In the Gospel of Change, covenants are the catalyst for an eternal and permanent transformation.  In God’s great wisdom, He understood that in fighting the effects of the Fall it would be an overwhelming challenge to become individuals worthy of inheriting His kingdom on our own.  To aid us in our quest, He gave us the greatest tool He could to help us overcome this condition.  These expressly designed covenants were created to mold us into those worthy children.

In taking upon one’s self a covenant with God, an individual enters into a pact with Heavenly Father.  You promise Him that you will do certain things and in return He promises, if you do your part, he will do certain things in return.

D&C 82:
9  ….I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.
10  I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

A bond is set.  A link created.  You are actively participating as a team with the God of the Universe to accomplish a goal.  And the crazy thing is, it’s really one-sided.  Sure it’s a two sided promise, but it is really all about you.  Heavenly Father’s reward out of this arrangement is the happiness He will feel in seeing you succeed.  You may feel like you have sacrificed and struggled, but truly, this is all for your own good and benefit.  Compare struggling and sacrifice on your own to having God on your side.  I think we can agree that we can all benefit in this life by having God as a partner.

Covenants are vital to us.  They are the key to our success in this life.  They take us from wishful thinking to committed disciples.  They mark us as worthy.  They keep us safe in every condition.  Ultimately, when the time comes, if we have polished and kept our covenants bright, they are the key to the front gate of Heavenly Fathers Estate.

Throughout all of our life, making and keeping the specific covenants that the Lord has laid out for us is the precise activity the Lord would have us engaged in.

Enduring

“But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.”  Matthew 24:13

What does it mean to endure?  Is it a blind tolerance of seen and unseen persecution or is it something else entirely, something specific?
Enduring is a big part of Heavenly Father’s Plan.  It is absolutely something specific.  Not discounting the Atonement in anyway, enduring is the active, on-going, and most important part of the Plan of Salvation.  Enduring is the doctrine and practice of change.  It is through enduring that we exercise faith.  Enduring keeps us in a repentant frame of mind.  Enduring is KEEPING our covenants.
But if enduring is specific, something easily focused on, what is it?

The Prophet Nephi said this about enduring:

2 Nephi 31:
15  And I heard a voice from the Father, saying: Yea, the words of my Beloved are
true and faithful.  He that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.
16  And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved.

We must endure.  Enduring is the most important thing we need to learn about and do in this life.  In the previous scripture, Nephi defines enduring very clearly.  Enduring is “following the example of the Son of the Living God.”

Now, I would never presume to augment in any way, Nephi’s definition, but I will expound on it a little here.  Because enduring is such an important part of the Plan, as Heavenly Father states above, and Nephi tells us that it is a specific activity, I suggest to you this understanding or definition:
                Enduring is actively practicing being like Jesus.

Practicing being like Jesus is the purpose of life.

Being like Jesus is a tall order.  He said:
Mathew 5:48  Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

The example our Father in Heaven set is the example He strove for and achieved.  That is the example we need to follow.  But is it possible, and if so, how can we achieve such a mentally overwhelming thing?  Christ-like, God-like, perfection.  We know the answer is yes, it is possible and we can.  We talked about it in the discussion on choices.  Choices are the essence and enduring is the process that have the power to make us like Christ.  The question is: how do we focus our choices and our enduring on becoming like Christ?  Please consider the Savior’s answer to what is really most important in life.  The two greatest commandments:
     Mathew 22:
 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
 38 This is the first and great commandment.
 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The Savior says we should love the Lord in a fully committed way.  Sound familiar?  How do we show our love for the Lord in a fully committed way?  We make and keep His covenants.

He then tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.  How can we love our neighbor in the same way we love ourselves?  I suggest He is saying: Do for your neighbor what you would do for yourself.  We understand the Plan.  We are trying to work the Plan.  We need to love others by helping them understand and work the Plan too.

In other words, we need to help others understand what The Lord has helped us to understand.  We need to do temple work for those that cannot do it for themselves and help our living friends to see the value of temple covenants.  This is enduring.  This is what Jesus did.  This is what He has asked of us.  This is the practicing I was talking about.  This is how we become like Him.

I hope you are starting to see a pattern here.  All the things we talk about in being a disciple of Christ are really circumscribed here in this one concept. 

There is one last thing we need to talk about to have a full foundation for discussion about Scouting.  We need to talk about the purpose and promise of the Aaronic Priesthood.

The Purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood

“It is indeed correct to call the Aaronic Priesthood the preparatory priesthood.” Boyd K. Packer[5]

So what is the preparatory purpose of the Aaronic Priesthood?  Did you say Temple work?  That’s right.  It is Temple work.  Just to make sure we are all on the same page, let’s look at the doctrine.

Temple work is exactly what John the Baptist was thinking about when he laid his hands on Joseph and Oliver.  Read carefully what he said:
D&C 13:
1 Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.

So we understand it holds specific keys to the gospel and the ministering of angles.  But what is this Sons of Levi offering thing?  Who are these Levites and what offering are they going to make in righteousness?  For that we need to look at two other scriptures.  First, the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood:
D&C 84:
33  For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.
34  They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.

In taking upon us the Priesthood we become the sons of Moses and of Aaron.  We are Sons of Moses.  Moses and Aaron are Levites.  That makes us Levites.  Not just Levities, we are those Levities John was talking about.  If we are, and we are, what is this righteous offering we will offer?  Joseph Smith explained all:
D&C 128:
24…and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.  Let us, therefore, as a church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints, offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness; and let us present in his holy temple, when it is finished, a book containing the records of our dead, which shall be worthy of all acceptation.

The Lord has clearly provided the Aaronic Priesthood covenanted protection, and power to prepare to enter the temple and aid in the preparation of a righteous offering to the Lord.  This is key to our discussion because it shows the Lord’s intent and Plan for our youth to be temple worthy and ready.

This is enduring for boys.  This is practicing being like Jesus.  

In a nut shell

So, in summary, Heavenly Father’s Plan is: The Savior’s Atonement and His saving grace, choice and accountability, covenants, and enduring to the end.  In a very broad stroke, that is the core of the Plan of Salvation and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Let me use Brother Wilcox again to aid us with this eternal perspective. 

“If Christ did not require faith and repentance, there would be no DESIRE to change,” he says.[6]  He asks us to consider those we know who have chosen to live without faith and repentance.  He asks us to observe that these people are not looking to change.  “They are not abandoning sin to be comfortable with God, but rather they are abandoning God to be comfortable with sin.”[7]

“If Jesus did not require covenants and bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost, then there would be no WAY to change.  We would forever be left with WILL power and have no access to HIS power.”[8]

He also explains that without the process of endurance, the covenants we make with God remain superficial.  This is a very important concept.  If you make a promise and then forget about it, never act on it, never remind yourself of the obligation you have put yourself under, it does you no good and you receive no benefit, no reward.  Enduring is the process whereby we exercise our covenants until they are incorporated deep into our souls and become part of us.

This is the Lord’s Plan to help us return home.  If you are sometimes overwhelmed with all the things you think you need to do to be a good Latter-Day Saint, stop.  The Gospel is really this simple: practice being like Jesus.  Practice.  Focus on this and everything else will work itself out.

God’s Plan for Boys

“And I did join my two thousand sons, (for they are worthy to be called sons)”  Alma 56:10

If you were a loving Father that deeply cared about the salvation of his sons, particularly during their impressionable younger years, and wanted to give them the best possible program that would cover such things as teaching boys to make good choices, teaching boys to make and keep covenants, teaching boys to help others do the same, and teaching boys the attributes of Jesus, what would that look like?  It would look exactly like, in fact, it would be, Scouting.

The Church News reported the following on President Benson speaking to newly called General Authorities:
Regional Representatives were encouraged to see that the Scouting program is functioning in their regions.  President Ezra Taft Benson said: “This is not an optional program.  … Scouting is no longer on trial.   …It is an inspired program for a demanding time.  This is that time!  I would to God that every boy of Scouting age could have the benefits and blessings of this great program”[1]

President Benson understands that Scouting is a divinely inspired program specifically designed to lead boys to the temple and beyond.



Scouting and the Genius of Heavenly Father


“Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.”  Alma 56:47

Even in today’s climate, President Monson believes in Scouting.  I should say it as President Benson would.  ESPECIALLY in today’s climate, President Monson believes in Scouting.  Everybody knows it.  He was very much the lead in the Church’s presentation at May’s national BSA Convention.  That is because he understands the saving power of the Scouting Program.  A quote attributed to Mark E. Peterson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, says it this way:
"If Scouting would not make better Latter‑Day Saints, we would not have Scouting in the Church.  But because Scouting does make boys better Latter‑Day Saints, we take it into the Church.  You cannot divorce Church work from Scouting.  When you are building Scouting in your boys, you are building the work of God and helping to establish the kingdom on the earth."[10]

If every Prophet since Joseph F. Smith has spoken of, supported and promoted Scouting, why would any priesthood holder treat Scouting poorly?  Let me say that a different way.  Why do we see Wards in the Church that have great Scouting programs and others with very poor Scouting programs?  That answer is simple to me.  First, as I said earlier, I believe we have an issue of vision.  In some places the Priesthood Leadership do not have the vision of the power of the Scouting program.  Second, I think you can agree with me that if the supposition is true that Scouting is part of Heavenly Fathers Plan, opposition must exist.  In fact, I submit to you that the existence of opposition is an element of proof of its inspired nature.  Consider for yourself the position of Scouting in the Church and in the nation today and see what you believe the case to be.

Regardless, as the Church delivers the Gospel of Jesus Christ, so does the National BSA deliver the Scouting Program.  It is the Program of Scouting that we are talking about and not its delivery system.  It is the Program that is inspired and if we, as a Church and Priesthood, become the delivery system, it is only our faith and accomplishment that we need worry about.  The good news for us, as stated by Elder Andersen during a World-wide Broadcast[11], is “if we do our best, God will not let us fail.”  I believe that is exactly true.  And remember, any truth is always connected to another truth.  That is how they become one great whole.  Scouting is part of the same great whole as the gospel.

Heavenly Father is a Genius.  It is a poor word to describe His intellect, because He is an awesome genius times eternity!  OK, that was poor too.  But I think when I get done here, meaning I BELIEVE when WE get done, you will see a glimpse of just how wonderful, how beautiful, how completely awesome His understanding truly is.  After all, He inspired a program for His young sons to anchor them to the complete Gospel of Jesus Christ and hid it from those not looking in a national curriculum of Camping, Hiking and High Adventure.  That…is sheer genius.

I have promised to show you the rationale for exactly this, the premise of how Scouting is a divinely inspired program specifically designed to lead boys to the Temple and beyond.  I want to point out some things about Scouting that you may or may not have considered in this particular light.  There is no need in this discussion to make any large stretch to make a point.  There are some very specific things, when viewed through an eternal gospel eye that will make a great deal of sense to us all.  Now that we have the foundation laid, let me begin to lay the facts before you and make the case.

Baden-Powell

“For those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, the forest is at once a laboratory, a club and a temple.”[12]  Robert  Baden-Powell, Founder of Scouting
You might be asking, if the Lord inspired Scouting, why didn’t he have some Latter-Day Saint create it?  Simple, because that was not the Lord’s plan.  Lord Robert Stevenson Smyth Baden Powell (BP, as his Scouting friends call him) was the perfect guy for the job.  Reading his story truly brings out how his whole life was prepared to bring about Scouting.  He was a national hero that became a global treasure.  I know just enough of the Lord’s work to know that BP was reared and raised to this great and important work of the Lord. 

Robert Baden Powell said:
“The Scout, in his promise, undertakes to do his duty to King and country only in the second place.  His first duty is to God.
There is no religious side to the movement.  The whole of it is based on religion.  That is, on the realization and service of God.”

Teaching boys their duty to God was Baden Powell’s first concern in developing the Scouting Program.

Finally, I submit for your consideration this thought: if the Lord had called some inspired Quorum Advisor from the past, what would Scouting be today?  Scouting would never have had the global impact on boys that it has had.  It would have remained a Mormon thing that others outside the church would not have participated in.  As evidence, I submit for your evaluation the Relief Society.  The largest, oldest, and most noble of Woman’s organizations.  How many non-Latter-Day Saints are regular members?  Outside the Church, how many people do you think even know it exists?

I submit Baden-Powell as my first evidence that Scouting is part of the Lord’s Plan.  Please ponder on that and come to your own conclusion.


The Saving Power of Scouting

“Next to my father and my pastor, my Scoutmasters and other Scout leaders were the most influential male role models in my life—and they literally may have saved my life.”[13]  Mike Fossum, NASA Astronaut

No, Heavenly Father knew exactly what to do when it came to His Plan.  Having Scouting as an outside organization with an inspired program became a globally powerful tool respected by everyone.  The reason Scouting is so powerful is its ability to reach boys.  President Tanner put it this way:
Scouters, through the Scout program, can go out and reach boys that cannot be reached otherwise.  The President of the Church recognizes that.  That is one of the reasons the program was officially recognized and accepted as a part of the Church program.  And when we realize that, brethren, let us go out and save those boys" N. Eldon Tanner, June 1968

I have seen too many times the effectiveness of Scouting in the moist eyes of grown men as they have told me how Scouting saved their lives.  How it pulled them off the streets; how it pulled them out of gangs; how it pulled them from a life of drugs, alcohol, prison and worse; how it helped them find God when nothing else did.  This saving power is real.  It is impossible to see its effects and not recognize the Lord’s hand in it.

The Mission of Scouting

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.  (BSA Mission Statement)

The Boys Scouts of America recognize that life is choices.  As it plainly states here in their Mission Statement, their mission is to provide a moral code for boys to be used as a foundation for making good choices throughout their lifetime.  Now, in case you are suspicious here, I did not give the BSA my talk on Choices.  I came to that on my own with the help of the Lord.  So I make the conclusion that the Lord had some help in this too.

Truth is truth and the Gospel is the Gospel no matter where it is found.  

The Aims of Scouting

Character, Citizenship, and Fitness

In every Scouting program (Cubs, Boy Scouts, Varsity, and Venturing), the BSA has three specific aims.  Here they are with their explanations or descriptions:

CHARACTER
Boy Scouting works toward three aims. One is growth in moral strength and character. Character can be defined as the collection of core values by an individual that leads to moral commitment and action, and encompasses a boy’s personal qualities, values, and outlook.


CITIZENSHIP
A second aim is participating citizenship.  Used broadly, citizenship means the boy’s relationship to others.  He comes to learn of his obligations to other people, to the society he lives in, and to the government that presides over that society.

FITNESS
A third aim of Boy Scouting is development of physical, mental, and emotional fitness.  Fitness includes the body (well-tuned and healthy), the mind (able to think and solve problems), and the emotions (self-control, courage, and self-respect).[14]

You may or may not have read these before.  I am sure you would agree that these are noble and worthy Aims for any youth program.  But where are they coming from?  What is the driver?

Now I have made the claim that the Lord inspired the Scouting program and I think here, in the Aims of Scouting, we find some of the most compelling evidence to make that case.

A very excellent friend of mine, who I suspect was born a Scoutmaster, enlightened me to this very interesting and specific corollary.  I suspect this insight came to him in all those years he was both Branch President and Scoutmaster.  He asked the question:  What do we know about the Savior’s mortal years from twelve to eighteen?  We have one line.  Only one line in the New Testament talks about these years in His life and it reads like this:
                Luke 2:52  And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

It is not very much, but we can easily see three specific things about the growth of the Savior through His teenage years.  He grew in 1) Wisdom, 2) Stature, and 3) Favor with God and man. 

Now look closely at the correlation of the Aims of Scouting and Luke 2:52.

The Lord’s Youth:            Wisdom, Stature, and Favor with God and Man
Aims of Scouting:            Character, Fitness, and Citizenship

They are the same.  Look these over again.  I am not stretching here.  They are the same.  The Aims of Scouting, by definition, are to teach boys to be like Jesus.

Each program in the Scouting umbrella is designed to help boys to make good choices and practice doing the things the Savior would do.



The Perfect Vessel


“We've remained strong and firm in our support of this great movement for boys and the Oath and Law which are at its center."[15]  President Thomas S. Monson quoting President Spenser W. Kimball

All the effectiveness of the Lord’s purpose in Scouting hinges on two things: The Scout Oath and The Scout Law.  These two things give direction for scouts and leaders for every aspect of behavior and interaction at all times.  In becoming a Scout, a boy makes a new covenant.  It is THE Promise that he makes on his honor.
Scout Oath (or Promise)
On my honor I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.[16]

Scout Law
A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.[17]

As a young boy grows up in the Church he begins to hit those important milestones we talked about earlier.  At eight he is baptized and takes upon himself his first very important covenant.  He covenants to be like Jesus.  Every week he renews that covenant by partaking of the Sacrament.

But then something else happens with this boy that we need to understand and pay more attention to, because here is where the Lord’s Plan extends.  We send him to join the Cub Pack and the first thing we do is teach him to make the Cub Scout Sign and take upon himself a new oath.  He makes a new covenant that he will do his duty to God and to his Country.  And like a Sacrament, he renews this oath each week at Cub meetings.

When this boy turns twelve, he takes upon himself the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood and begins to learn and perform his duty to God in the priesthood.  In Scouts, he has become a Boy Scout and has taken upon himself a new oath and covenant.  We have taught him to raise his arm to the square and to promise to continue to do his duty to God and Country and also now to live the Scout Law.

Like the covenant of baptism with its renewal through the sacrament, nothing is more important in Scouting than this Oath and the opportunity to renew it every week.  In this is the genius of the Lord.  Leaders continue to ask what can be done to help and encourage young men to go on missions.  The answer is simple.  Help young men understand their covenants.  No young man who understands his duty to God would ever fail to serve a mission.

If you run a true Scouting program in a ward that focuses on the Scout Oath and Law, where boys every week renew that covenant, boys will serve missions.  We cannot expect our young men to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent, when we have treated these things lightly and have not engrained in them these values.  Would you expect the Saints to have the same level of commitment if after they are baptized their contact with the Church was sporadic and they were never given the opportunity to renew their baptismal covenants through the Sacrament?  Or go to the Temple once and never come back?  Yet in many Wards this is what we do to the young men and then we wonder why some don’t go on missions.  We must help boys to understand their covenants.  We must help the Scout Oath and Law get down into their souls.  This is the Lord’s purpose in Scouting.  They must practice being like Jesus, not just basketball.  It is the Scout Oath and Law that will put boys in the Temple, in the mission field, sealed on return, and endure this mortal life with success.

The important thing to understand here is the power of this covenant.  When a twelve year old boy promises that he will, on his honor, do his best, to do his duty to God and Country and to be obedient to the Scout Law, and does so, something special happens.  He becomes the perfect vessel for the priesthood.  This is exactly what Heavenly Father wants from any man as qualifications for holding the priesthood.  What parent wouldn’t want their son to live by such a code and have these kinds of attributes?

Now pay attention to this, notice that this is a SCOUTING thing and not a Church requirement.  Heavenly Father is delivering this through Scouting, designed for regular and consistent reinforcement to help young men through their critical years become anchored to God, and not as a requirement for ordination.  Sometimes these things get blurred, and rightly so, but I think it’s important to understand the Lord is delivering His message to His boys how they best understand.  We need to recognize that.

Conclusion

I believe in Scouting.  I do because I have witnessed first-hand its astounding saving power.  I have seen it work on boys that could be reached in no other way.  I have seen it reclaim good and active young men in the Church who started to stray.  I have seen it hold strong, good boys beyond the time they became great young men to become returned missionaries, Fathers and Scout Leaders.  And I have seen it change the lives of adult leaders from all kinds of different life experiences.  Even after my mission and years of working in the temple, some of my favorite and most powerful spiritual experiences have been in a church meeting, sitting in a quiet mountain wood, overlooking a beautiful lake, feeling the spirit so strongly it was like Heavenly Father Himself had wrapped His arms around me.  Have you ever sat in a church built by the majesty of the Savior’s great design, the pitch of night wearing away as the sun lazily stretches over the outline of the mountains and it begins to lightly snow on you?  I recommend it if you get the chance.

Scouting builds great men because, like committed temple goers, Scouting has the saving ability to help Scouts become the kind of fully committed priesthood holders the Lord expects of His Saints.  Knowing their duty to Him comes first.  Understanding this, it becomes very important that we pay attention to the Lord’s will.  He has guided the Prophets to embrace Scouting.  I am suggesting there is reason for that.  A reason beyond hiking and camping.  And by focusing on Scouting as a hiking and camping program we run the risk of failing the Lord is His designs.

Scouting is the Lord’s Plan for His young sons.  Scouting is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Lord’s purpose for Scouting is to teach young men to make and keep covenants.  Embedded in the program of Scouting is the Gospel of Change that, if embraced, will help anyone become like the Savior.  Scouting, and not any other program, is designed to take young men to the temple and put them in the mission field.

Moroni 7:
16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge; for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God.

The purpose of the Gospel is to help us change, to grow to be like the Savior.  Scouting has this same purpose designed specifically for God’s young sons.  If you want to help young men grow to become temple-going returned missionaries, the best thing you could do is embrace Scouting, become a fully trained Scout Leader and dedicate your life to Scouting as part of the Gospel by helping these young men understand and exercise their covenants.  As Latter Day Saints, we should have the best programs in America.  We should be leading the way.  We need to provide the best Scouting program we can to help these great young men focus on practicing being like Christ.

Moroni 7:
48  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

It is my testimony that these things are true.  I know it only because I spent the time on my knees to know it.  My only purpose here is to help open your mind and heart to these things so you can find out for yourself if they are not true.   Whatever your feelings are on this subject, I ask you for the sake of this rising generation of sons the Lord has held for these days, to prayerfully consider this message.  I don’t want you to believe me on all of this, I want you to listen to the Lord’s position.

Lastly, here, I realize that in regards to this topic, my stewardship extends to all my callings, including that of Father.  The most poignant example of the power of Scouting in my life has been that of my only son.  I had the good fortune to be Christian’s Scoutmaster.  I am not sure if he taught me or I taught him in those days, I only know that he is my hero.  His life, his choices, will be an example to me forever.  He taught me the meaning of Duty to God and Country and living the Scout Law.  Christian does not just get scouting, he personifies its ideals.

After serving a very successful mission to Peru, he came home, married the sweetest little girl, and joined the Navy.  He is at this time a Navy Corpsman going to school at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas.  In the days just prior to Boot Camp, Christian worked on the National BSA Staff, attended Wood Badge and completed his ticket.  First day in Church in San Antonio…they called him to be Scoutmaster.  That was a good day for me.

I dedicate this little writing to him and all my grandsons forever.  May this help you understand the true nature of Scouting, may you love it, and may its saving power change your life to be like Jesus Christ, the Savior of us all.

And to you, my Friends everywhere, Scouts, Scouters, and Non-Scouters alike, I pray God’s blessings upon you all.  That we may come to know His plan for us as we all strive in this life to be His worthy children.

Life is short and tenuous.  If we want to make it home, we need to practice every day.

Let’s get going.

Scott







[1] His Grace is Sufficient, Brad Wilcox, Member of the General Sunday School Board, 07/12/11 BYU Devotional Address
[2] 2 Nephi 25:23
[3] Teaching of the Prophet Brigham Young, [1997], 288
[4] https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/salvation?lang=eng
[5] The Aaronic Priesthood, Boyd K. Packer, General Conference, October, 1981.
[6] His Grace is Sufficient, Brad Wilcox, Member of the General Sunday School Board, 07/12/11 BYU Devotional Address
[7] same
[8] same
[10] If you Google this quote, you can find several uses of this quote in LDS Scouting literature (including Greater Salt Lake Council), but try as I might, I could not find the original source reference.  I use it here without its true source because I really like it and its true.
[11] Andersen, Elder Neil L.  “Hastening the Work Of Salvation.” World-wide Broadcast for the Marriott Center, Provo, UT.  June 23, 2013. http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/special-broadcast?lang=eng#media=elder-neil-l-andersen
[12] Baden-Powell, Lord Robert.  “Quotes from Baden–Powell.”  World Scout Bureau.  June 2013.  June 20, 2013. http://www.scout.org/en/node_64/facts_figures/baden_powell/b_ps_quotes
[13]  Ray, Mark.  “The Astronaut Scouter.”  The Eagletter.  Mark-Ray.com.  Spring 2008.  June 20, 2013   http://www.mark-ray.com/samples/astronaut.pdf
[14] The Aims and Methods of Boy Scouting, Boy Scouts of America, English/Spanish, Brochure 543-042, Printed 2011
[15] Kimball, Spenser W.  “As quoted by Thomas S. Monson.”  General Priesthood Session, October 5, 1991.






No comments:

Post a Comment